Simon Mignolet has admitted that he is considering his future at Liverpool after being told he is no longer the first-choice at Anfield. The Reds keeper believes that the current situation is an ‘unhealthy’ one for a goalkeeper to endure.
Liverpool addressed a key problem in the defence earlier this month with the signing of Virgil van Dijk, but they still arguably have one more position to sort out to become serious title contenders. Jurgen Klopp dropped Mignolet for the thrilling 4-3 win against Manchester City, confirming that Loris Karius has been reinstated as his no.1 for the likely future.
Karius marked his City call-up with a big mistake, allowing Leroy Sane to rifle home a shot at his near post, but he could retain his place for the trip to Swansea.
Mignolet, who joined the club in 2013 from Sunderland, has often come under scrutiny for his error-strewn performances. Liverpool have been linked with moves for Stoke City’s Jack Butland and Roma’s Alisson in recent weeks. Mignolet is concerned that a lack of first-team football could affect his World Cup chances and hinted that he could consider leaving the club.
“10 days ago, after the game against Burnley, I had a conversation with Klopp,” Mignolet told Sporza.
“In the Christmas period we had rotated again and I felt that that was not a healthy situation for a keeper. Klopp then told me when Sunday was confirmed before and after the match, but of course I’m not happy with that, but no heavy words have come afterwards.
“Klopp told me that honestly and personally in that interview, of course I am not satisfied with that, but I always have to respect the trainer’s decision. After everything that has happened this season, I know where I stand and the situation has become clearer.”
The Belgium international has come back from the brink at Liverpool before – being dropped for both Brad Jones and Karius before re-establishing himself as the club’s No.1 in goal.
The shot-stopper added: “Of course I also have to think about my own future, the only thing I can do is focus on the training and do my best, I’m 30 years old and the World Cup is coming in. This situation cannot last too long, that’s clear. I cannot say more about it.”
Mignolet’s future at Anfield is in jeopardy as Klopp is likely to pursue a new goalkeeper in the summer. And according to Spanish outlet AS (h/t The Sun), Atletico Madrid shot-stopper Jan Oblak is a target for the Reds. However, with the player having a hefty £89m release clause, it remains to be seen whether or not Klopp considers splashing out a big sum on him.