Connect with us

ARTICLES

“I’m hoping someone will do what they did for Aldo” 183-goal Liverpool excited about charity game vs Bayern legends

Published

on

robbie fowler

Former Liverpool striker Robbie Fowler has told Liverpoolfc.com that he expects good support from the Liverpool FC Legends team he will lead this Saturday, which can offer him a chance to follow the footsteps of John Aldridge at Anfield.

Come Saturday, the Reds legends will hit the pitch again for a charity match against Bayern Munich which will raise critical funds for the LFC Foundation. The last time they played a charity game was just a year ago when they defeated Real Madrid legends 4-3.

In March last year, Steven Gerrard marshalled his troops with a goal and two assists, although one of the biggest celebrations was sparked when Aldridge scored at the Kop end from the former England international’s pin-point cross.

Fowler, who hit 183 goals for the Reds, feels he is proud to be involved in the charity game and is massively honoured to skipper the side on Saturday with him dreaming of a special moment against Bayern Munich.

“Maybe the lads were trying to put everything on a plate for him so he didn’t have to run as far!” Fowler told Liverpoolfc.com.

“You saw when he scored the goal how good it was, not just for him but everyone else – the fans loved it and we as players loved it as well. I’m hoping someone will do what they did for Aldo, for me.”

Liverpool fans will get to see Xabi Alonso play 45 minutes each for both of his former clubs. As well as Alonso and Fowler, a number of former Kop favourites will also take part in Saturday’s charity match.

Daniel Agger, Luis Garcia and Dirk Kuyt will also make their return to Anfield, along with Vladimir Smicer, Patrik Berger, Gary McAllister and Jamie Carragher.

So this leaves player-manager Ian Rush in some sort of selection dilemma ahead of the game, though Fowler is quite happy to see the Reds possess a fit squad for the game against Bayern.

“No-one is guaranteed a place just yet!” Fowler added.

“Xabi is brilliant. When I came back to Liverpool [in 2006] you could see how good he was. The passing range and the ability he has got with a football is quite frightening. He has not long retired so he will probably have a little bit more than most of us.

“Steven is still fit. Dirk Kuyt is probably still running marathons! Fitness-wise, I think we’ll be alright. And certainly talent-wise, we’ll be more than alright.”

According to Liverpoolfc.com, the 90 percent of the funds generated from the game will go to the club’s official charity – the LFC Foundation, to support its programmes and partnerships. The remaining 10 percent of the money will be donated to the German giants’ charity, FC Bayern Hilfe e.V.

“We all know what it’s about: raising money for unbelievable charities,” added Fowler.

“A lot of money has been raised for the research centre at Alder Hey, and there are various other charities in and around Liverpool. We know what it’s for.

“As much as we love getting together, putting the kit on, walking out at Anfield and playing this football game, this unbelievable club always does things right. What it’s for will never get lost with us.”

Expect an exciting battle between the Liverpool greats and Bayern Munich stars and let’s hope our legends emerge victorious on Saturday.